Forum: SuRun English speaking RSS
Installation failed
Derek_Pop #1
Member since Aug 2009 · 8 posts
Group memberships: Mitglieder
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Installation failed
Hi, I tried to install SuRun 1.2.0.6 on my PC (Win XP SP3) but the installation failed.

I disabled my security software, doubled clicked on the InstallSuRun file and I got the following message as expected:
Do you want to install SuRun?

I left the checkboxes checked to start 'SuRun Settings' after installation and to Set 'Administrators' instead of ...

The next message I got was:
Installation failed!
Deleting file 'C:\WINDOWS\SuRun.exe'
Copying file 'C:\DOCUME~1\...\SuRun.exe to 'C:\WINDOWS\SuRun.exe'
Deleting file 'C:\WINDOWS\SuRunExt.dll'
Copying file 'C:\DOCUME~1\...\SuRunExt.dll' to 'C:\WINDOWS\SuRunExt.dll
Installing SuRun service
Installation failed!

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Cosmo #2
Member since Mar 2008 · 451 posts
Answer all of the following questions:
Which security software?
Did you try to reboot the system?
Can you see the 2 files mentioned above inside the C:\windows-folder?
Do you see Surun in the software module of systemcontrol?
Try to uninstall, reboot, try a new install (or come back for answering the questions above).
Thomas
Derek_Pop #3
Thanks for the reply. I disabled the following software: Online Armor (Free), RegDefend (Free), Avast Home Edition, Threat Fire and Win Patrol.

I uninstalled SuRun, rebooted and tried a new install but that installation failed also.

Please explain what you mean by "the software module of system control".

I do not have access to my own PC at the moment. So I shall tell you later if the two files I mentioned previously are in the C:\windows-folder.
Derek_Pop #4
In reply to post #2
Hi, the files SuRun.exe and SuRunExt.dll are in C:\Windows. Should I delete them before I attempt to re-install SuRun again?
Kay (Administrator) #5
User title: Weltverbesserer
Member since Nov 2007 · 1508 posts · Location: Magdeburg
Group memberships: Administratoren, Mitglieder
Please explain what you mean by "the software module of system control".

I guess that Cosmo meant "Add or remove programs" in the control panel.

Hi, the files SuRun.exe and SuRunExt.dll are in C:\Windows. Should I delete them before I attempt to re-install SuRun again?

You don't need to delete those files. SuRuns installer will rename them if they cannot be deleted and Windows will delete the files on the next system start.

It seems that the Windows API "CreateService" fails on your system.

But as you previously had installed SuRun, how did you do that?
Derek_Pop #6
Thanks for the reply, Kay. If Cosmo was referring to the "Add or remove programs" module, then SuRun is not listed there. I used the module to uninstall the program and after rebooting the PC, I used it again to check if SuRun was listed and it was not.

Since uninstalling the program, I have rebooted the PC but the files SuRun.exe and SuRunExt.dll are still in C:\Windows. Should I manually delete these files before I try to install SuRun again?

I cannot explain why the Windows API "CreateService" appears to have failed on my PC. I have had the PC for about 4 years, I have installed a lot of software in that time but this is the first time that a software installation has failed. Is there a way of checking for certain that it is failing?

It appears to me that some other software on my PC is preventing me from installing SuRun and if so, how can I check this? If I unsinstall my security software one by one and after each uninstallation, try to install SuRun, is that likely to pinpoint the problem?

Or do I need to do something else?
Cosmo #7
At first: Yes, I was referring to the said module. As so often when writing I am searching for the correct English wording (as I have a German Windows and have to translate) and do not always find it. (I will have to find a way to easily look for the correct English wording, that is used my MS.)

As Kay already pointed out, the said API failed to work correctly. But why?
Looking at the long security application list makes it rather likely, that somewhere there is  culprit. With the exception of Avast (I use the free version myself on the virtual machines for testing) I would disable all of them - enable the XP firewall until you re-enable Online Armor again - and see, if this works now.

Also as Kay I wonder, how and why the previous installation of SuRun did wirk. Maybe it does help, if you check, which of the security software has been added or updated after that - or what else you did change in your system after that date.

BTW: If you are working regularly in a limited account, it seems at least useless to have such a bunch of security apps; the limited account does the most effective protection. AV-software and a firewall, that should be enough to keep the system secure. The collection from post #3 appears to be a overkill, probably more kill for system functions than security.
Thomas
Derek_Pop #8
Hi, I must point out that I previously installed SuRun (and I apologise for not mentioning this before) and I assumed that something was not right with the installation because instead of a green smiley icon in my system tray, I had a nuclear warning sign (six, alternate black and yellow triangles inside a circle). Furthermore, when I right clicked on the sign, I could not access the SuRun settings. This is why I uninstalled SuRun.

This time, I uninstalled RegDefend (as Cosmo has pointed, my security setup is probably overkill and I had been thinking of uninstalling RegDefend anyway). Then I disabled my other security software and installed SuRun.

Now I find that I have a green smiley icon in my system tray but I still cannot access the SuRun settings. Perhaps more seriously, Windows Explorer will not start - I am met with a message that says "Windows has closed this program to protect your computer". And Firefox is very slow to start.

Is it significant that during the latest installation, the text "Set 'Administrators' instead of ..." and the corresponding checkbox were not displayed?
Cosmo #9
Starting with the end: The text "Set Admin ..." does not show, if SuRuns gets installed as an update; SuRun respects the previous setting. So far no problem.

Regarding the other problems: Your problems are not typical, so you have to sort out, what is wrong here. Anyway, you did not mention the API problem or the missing uninstall entry in "Add and remove programs".

I suggest, that you uninstall SuRun (after temporarily disabling the other security software) and check the problems, that you have reported in the last post: WE crash, FF slowdown. What about that now?

Then install SuRun again (under the same condition) and check again.
Thomas
Derek_Pop #10
Hi Cosmo, thanks for your reply. I uninstalled SuRun (after temporarily disabling my other security software) and I found that Win Exp did not crash and FF was not slow to start.

So I rebooted and logged in as the new admin user that I had created specifically to install SuRun (let's call this user D, for short) and which I had used to install SuRun previously. I disabled my security software again and attempted to install SuRun but unlike the other installations of SuRun, I was met with a message that said "You need administrator prviliges to install SuRun" and I was asked to select one of two users from a drop-down menu, neither of which was D. D has administrator prviliges and this made me uneasy and so I decided not to install SuRun for the moment.

Regarding your comment that I "did not mention the API problem or the missing uninstall entry in 'Add and remove programs' ", in previous posts, I said that "I cannot explain why the Windows API 'Create Service' appears to have failed on my PC" and that "SuRun is not listed [in this module as I had used it to] to uninstall the program ...". So I am not sure how I can respond here. For example, I don't know how to investigate the API problem.

I suspect that I have misinterpted your comments. Perhaps it might be appropriate if you were to e-mail me outside the forum and then, having provided you with the information you require, we could resume posting to the forum. It just seems to me that several exchanges between us in this forum saying that not enough information has been provided or that the meaning of comments are unclear would not benefit other forum users.

Thanks again for your help.
Cosmo #11
Hi Derek,

at first: the forum is the right place for discussing problems. Not at least because you never know beforehand, what will be the final result, which might be interesting for other users - and not to forget for Kay. Or: I make a fault in my advices (nobody is perfect) and other may correct them.

Skipping the question, why you had created a new admin account just for installing SuRun, there seems something has gone wrong with this account D. And if this is no admin account you cannot install or start a service. So far I believe, that you have already encircled the problem. So at first the question, did you double check, that D is an admin and how did you do this?

What other accounts do you have on the machine and what types (admin, limited)?

Did you try with another admin account? If not, do so - but do not use the predefined account named "Administrator"! You might create another account with admin privileges.

I wonder, if one of your security apps is the reason, that the correct creation of the D account as admin failed. So you should leave them disabled (except Avast), probably uninstall them (at least temporarily).

Regarding my comment (your 3rd paragraph): I think, we can skip this, as we know now that there seems something wrong with the D account.
Thomas
Derek_Pop #12
D is an admin account but later, when I have access to my PC, I shall check that the privileges on the D account have not changed from Admin.

I created the D account specifically to install SuRun because this was the advice given at:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/surun.html

The Dedoimedo advice made sense to me because I thought that it was a good idea to have an Admin account to log with on with if the unexpected happened with SuRun, as it did in my case!

The other accounts on the PC are the pre-defined Administrator account, the Admin account that I have been using already and a Limited User Account.

I shall try to install SuRun again but I shall create another Admin account to do this.
Cosmo #13
Hi Derek,

thanks for the answer, why you had created the additional admin account (D in your case) in order to install SuRun.
2 points now:

At first, I do not want to go into detail about the Dedoimedo advice, as the author claims, that he has written this after consulting Kay. So here is a point where Kay should step in for prevending further confusion. Nevertheless I strongly think, that Dedoimedo has misunderstood something. My guess: He thinks about users, that never had created a limited account; but even in this case an additional account is needed without admin privileges.

Second point: As you said, you have a limited account already. So go into the user-defined admin-account (not the pre-defined) and install Surun. But disable the security software before!

Besides that, there must be something wrong with the account D. Following your post #10 it does seem to be not an admin account. The fail of installing SuRun with that is a necessary consequence. The question, why it is not an admin type is another one, hard to tell from the distance.
Thomas
Derek_Pop #14
I deleted the D account because even though I created it as an admin account, it had since become a Limited account even though I did not intentionally change the privileges on the account - I don't how it became a Limited account - is it reasonable to assume that at some point in the several attempts at installation of SuRun, the priviges were changed? I say this because no other softare was installed on my PC during this period - with the D account or any account. This is worrying - changes to privileges on any account should only take place with the user's knowledge and should be done by the user, not indirectly by software.

I am reluctant to install SuRun in the pre-defined admin account because, as I said previously, I believe that is prudent to have to have an Admin account to log with on with if the unexpected happens with SuRun. So I created a new admin account (let's call it E), disabled my security software and installed SuRun again.

I rebooted the PC and logged on as E. However, I now find that I am back where I started - the SuRun icon in my system tray is black and yellow (not green and smiley as I had hoped) and nothing happens when I right click on the SuRun icon and attempt to access the SuRun settings. So while I would like to add E to the SuRunners group to allow E to have admin privileges when it suits me, I cannot.

SuRun is listed in the 'Add or Remove Programs' module and I am tempted to uninstall it.

At the moment, the perfomance of my PC appears to be unaffected - for example, I can open Windows Explorer and Firefox starts with the same speed as usual.

Thanks again for your help.
Kay (Administrator) #15
User title: Weltverbesserer
Member since Nov 2007 · 1508 posts · Location: Magdeburg
Group memberships: Administratoren, Mitglieder
I'm happy you managed to install SuRun again. :-)
I guess that it just was confusion about how SuRun works.

SuRun displays the radio active icon in the tray only if you are logged on as Administrator.
If you then try to use SuRun, you will be asked, if you want to become a member of the "SuRunners" group and want to be no more admin, if you say yes, you're no real admin anymore.

This is probably the reason, why user D is no admin anymore.

To use SuRun in XP, you need to be member of SuRunners and you must not be Administrator, that's the reason, why SuRun does it that way.

If you want to install SuRun with an (admin-)account "D" and use it with an account "C":
  • Log on as "D".
  • Start InstallSuRun.
  • When SuRun settings appear, Add "C" to the SuRunners on Page 2.
  • Reboot.
  • Done. ;-)
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 85.2 ms (61.4 ms) · 126 database queries in 17.2 ms
Current time: 2019-08-18, 15:48:14 (UTC +02:00)