Forum: SuRun English speaking RSS
Nokia PC Sync hangs
taconsta (Guest) #1
No profile available.
Link to this post
Subject: Nokia PC Sync hangs
First off: thanks for such a nice program, it's really useful and more convenient than Run As!

Now to the problem. I have a Nokia 6300 which I keep in sync with Outlook. Nokia provides a software (Nokia PC Suite) which allows to control the phone, send SMS, browse files etc AND sync to Outlook. (http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/download-… ).

Normally, it works the following way: PC Sync is loaded via HKCU/Run at logon and stays in the background. Once I fire-up my bluetooth on the mobile, the mobile connects to the PC and PC Sync starts up (I get a spinning wheel in the system tray), syncs the phone with Outlook and then stays quietly in the system tray. I can right-click on the round symbol and I can re-sync, view last report etc.

Ever since I installed SuRun, after the sync-ing procedure, the "spinning wheel" freezes: right-click-ing it leads to nothing and, most importantly, if I connect the phone a second time, no synchronization happens anymore. I have to kill the PC Sync process, relaunch it manually and then reconnect via Bluetooth.

Maybe you could figure this one out, too? Thanks,

Alex

Win XP Pro, SP 2
SuRun 1.2.0.6
Nokia PC Suite 7.1.30.8
taconsta (Guest) #2
No profile available.
Link to this post
Subject: Update
Ok, running the program in "interactive mode" I see that it hangs at "Closing databases"
Kay (Administrator) #3
User title: Weltverbesserer
Member since Nov 2007 · 1509 posts · Location: Magdeburg
Group memberships: Administratoren, Mitglieder
Show profile · Link to this post
In reply to post #1
Unfortunately I do not have a Nokia cellphone , so I cannot sync nor check out PC suite.
But you can check yourself:
  • uninstall SuRun making yourself Admin again
  • create a new limited user in your system and try out PC-Suite
If that works, it should also work with SuRun.
If this works but not with SuRun, try to figure out what files Nokia PC suite uses (E.g. C:\Program files\nokia\*) and add their folders to SuRuns hook blacklist.
taconsta (Guest) #4
No profile available.
Link to this post
Thanks for the answer!
I didn't quite get the point of uninstalling SuRun AND creating a new account and, honestly, I didn't want to fiddle so much around.
According to Process Explorer (SysInternals), PC Sync was using files from C:\Windows\Win_SxS\x86_Microsoft* directories. Taking these dirs and the PC Sync executable out as you suggested seems to do the trick, thank you. (I did just two tests now, so I'll definitely keep an eye on this).

However, I am facing a problem while setting up SuRun and I wonder whether this is by design, known bug, or something happening only on my system:
1. I right click on the icon and choose Einstellungen
2. Screen goes dimmer (a la Vista) and I am prompted for the password
3. I get the setup window; every 10 or so seconds, the screen flashes (gets brighter for about 300ms) and, especially if I am in the middle of writing something in a field, I lose focus, so I have to click again in the field, type a few more characters and then the screen flashes again. What's happening there?

Thanks,

Alex
Kay (Administrator) #5
This is a known issue. Some apps, like Acronis true image 10 and miranda IM (<0.8) use a Windows API called SwitchDesktop() to detect if the screen has been locked. SuRun can not prevent them from doing that and Windows switches to the user's desktop. After a few ms SuRuns WatchDog process switches back.

What you can do is to check, what app causes this behavior and turn it off or get an update.
taconsta (Guest) #6
No profile available.
Link to this post
Since you mentioned it: it's Acronis, but 11.8.101 (that's the latest build of Acronis 11). So the update is not an option (as there isn't one) and switching them off, either, as I rather prefer to have my nightly backup than have the screen flickering every now and then when I set up SuRun. Or maybe you know a way around for Acronis?
Kay (Administrator) #7
I just implemented a SwitchDesktop filter into SuRuns hooks.
It intercepts SwitchDesktop in every non Admin app and if SuRuns Desktop is active the filter denies the switch.

The filter will be released with SuRun 1.2.0.7 Beta 10.
taconsta (Guest) #8
No profile available.
Link to this post
Cool!

I'll keep an eye on the next stable release.
taconsta (Guest) #9
No profile available.
Link to this post
Quote by taconsta:
Cool!

I'll keep an eye on the next stable release.

Or would you like me to give it a test ride?
Kay (Administrator) #10
Feel free to do so ;-)
xdmv #11
Member since Jun 2009 · 20 posts · Location: Glendora, US  / Santa Fe, AR
Group memberships: Mitglieder
Same problem here...

I solved adding this two apps to the predefined list:
%YOUR_PATH%\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\PCSuite.exe
%YOUR_PATH%\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 7\PcSync2.exe

Then it worked without problems.
Hope it helps...
Kay (Administrator) #12
I just modified SuRuns hooks.
Could anyone please try SuRun 1.2.0.7 beta 12 for PC Suite compatibility without putting it to the blacklist?
xdmv #13
Member since Jun 2009 · 20 posts · Location: Glendora, US  / Santa Fe, AR
Group memberships: Mitglieder
It works nice with SuRun 1.2.0.7 beta 12.
Addind the two apps mentioned above to Program List, Nokia PC Suite work with no problems.
No need to add them to Black List.

Hope this helps...  ;-)
Kay (Administrator) #14
Yes it does, Thanks :-)
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Go to forum
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 66.7 ms (35.8 ms) · 110 database queries in 21.2 ms
Current time: 2019-12-11, 19:55:54 (UTC +01:00)