All posts by discs (10)

topic: Surun alternative for Linux  in the forum: SuRun English speaking
discs #1
Member since Mar 2010 · 10 posts
Group memberships: Mitglieder
Show profile · Link to this post
Hi Kay,

Thank you for your considered reply - and the link to Qubes OS.

Vow, Linux is some insecure desktop system; worse than Windows in some ways for Desktop security! http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/linux-sec…

So my eyes have been opened a bit. Since I have no intention of ending up in a uniform Windows 10 world, I will make time to look into Qubes OS for my use of Linux.

Thanks again  :-) .
topic: Surun alternative for Linux  in the forum: SuRun English speaking
discs #2
Subject: Surun alternative for Linux
Hi,

I have been using Surun for years, first with Win XP and now with Windows 7. A great thank you from my heart :-).

Recently, I have been actively trying out some Linux distributions - currently I have settled on openSUSE.

But I really miss Surun. In Windows with Surun, when I need to start a program as an Administrator I click 'Start as Administrator' and I am taken to a Safe Desktop where I click 'OK'; no need to enter my secure long password many many times through the day.

In Linux I don't mind entering a password when I am doing complex stuff at the terminal. But in openSUSE I use graphical Yast for systems management a lot; also I use the GUI file manager as Administrator (Root) a lot to edit config and other files. In these cases and for other applications I am required to enter my long password each time.

Does anyone know of a program for Linux, like Surun, which would enable me to 'Start as Administrator' from a safe desktop without having to enter a password each time?

Thank you.
topic: Surun and Trusteer Rapport - Need to add to Blacklist  in the forum: SuRun English speaking
discs #3
Subject: Surun and Trusteer Rapport - Need to add to Blacklist
Hello,

We have been running Surun 1.2.0.9/1.2.1.0 and Trusteer Rapport (Emerald Build 1208.41 and earlier) quite happily on our system for a long time.  Recently installed a new Rapport Emerald Build 1302.44  - also renamed Trusteer Endpoint Protection.

[For those who don't know, Rapport is software for protection against screen capture, keylogging, and much else, during online financial transactions and banking, while using an internet browser).

The first sign of trouble with the new build of Rapport's compatibility with Surun were regular Windows messages 'Your computer is running low on memory ...' I eventually traced this to Trusteer's RapportService exe consuming around 1GB (yes, gigabyte) of memory on a browser startup.

Anyway, in short, under Surun advanced options under the  Execution hooks tab there is an option for "'Set a hook into processes that directly execute applications' (This option may cause incompatibilities..... if so add to blacklist)'".  I added RapportService exe and RapportMgtService.exe to the Surun blacklist, so that no hook was set for them.

This has resolved the excessive memory usage by the Rapport Service.  Please don't ask me why?  :-).

I have reported this new incompatibility to Trusteer Support, along with my solution - before they start blacklisting  the wonderful Surun program! I did this particularly because they were in the middle of investigating my problem using Rapport log files, before I realised it was a Surun issue.

Trusteer's compatibility page http://www.trusteer.com/support/compatibility-other-securi… lists many programs as incompatible with Rapport (Sandboxie, Geswall etc.).  But it also has the proviso: The Following 3rd Party software packages may require certain actions when installing or using Rapport. Please click on one of the links below for more information:. I trust that, if needed, they will be able to add Surun to the list, with the actions needed for compatibility.

I thought it best to make a report here.

Thank you, again and again, for Surun.

With best wishes, Andrew.
topic: Problem with ERUNT (autostart in Startup)  in the forum: SuRun English speaking
discs #4
In reply to post ID 2729
Thanks for the solution.  I was having the same problem - and, yes, I now realise the solution was a simple one.  Thank you again for Surun.  I never, because I found it too inconvenient, used a Limited User Account before discovering Surun! - and now I use a LUA all the time.
topic: How to use Sandboxie with Surun?  in the forum: SuRun English speaking
discs #5
In reply to post ID 2701
Sorry, I didn't have default notification of responses to topics, so didn't see the response earlier.

Thank you for your reply, bman. Yes, quite the simplest solution! Thank you.
topic: Run command (How to enable Administrative rights)  in the forum: SuRun English speaking
discs #6
In reply to post ID 2767
Thanks, Kay and quantic, for the update.  I am not into scripts (yet  :-)), quantic, so I will go for the 'Kay' solution.
Thank you for solving this for me.
topic: Run command (How to enable Administrative rights)  in the forum: SuRun English speaking
discs #7
In reply to post ID 2764
Thank you, Cosmo. Yes, I have the 'Start as Administrator' when I click on title-bar of Run-dialog box.

So, I click on the title-bar of the Run-dialog box to start as administrator. It then opens a Windows Explorer window with 2 panes: a left-hand 'Folders' pane showing the whole system of folders, starting with 'Desktop'; this pane highlights 'My Documents' which are shown in the right pane.

I am not very technically minded, but am I supposed to be able to access the run-dialogue box from this Windows Explorer window in some way?

Thanks again, for your help.
discs #8
Subject: Run command
I have used Surun for a while. Thank you.

I would like to know how to use the Run command with Administrative rights, while I am in Surun as a Limited user.

By the run command I mean as in: 'the Run command is accessible through the Start menu and also through the shortcut key. (Windows key + R)'. When I right click on the 'Run' program there is no option to run it as an administrator.

I have searched the English forum and would appreciate help on this.

Thank you.
discs #9
In reply to post ID 2674
Subject: Solved
Thank you quantic and kay for your suggestions for how to use Sandboxie with Surun. 

I tried your solution, Kay, by adding the following line to the sandboxie.ini file:
OpenPipePath=\Device\NamedPipe\SuperUserRun
I added it first into the global settings, and then the defaultbox, usersettings and S1 settings.  In each case it is the last entry for the setting. I am not sure I have done fully what you intended ... but I still got the message 'you must be logged in as an administrator to instal this program' when I tried to instal a program which needs administrative rights.

quantic, I followed your suggestion for introducing (by a registry entry) a context menu entry for calling a program which asks for administrative rights, and opens in Sandboxie. Neat - and it works.  I like it.

Thank you again to both of you. The problem is solved for me, which is great.
discs #10
Subject: How to use Sandboxie with Surun?
Thank you for Surun.  At last I am using a LUA - which I have never done before! - because I found it so inconvenient. 

I have tried to use Sandboxie with Surun and LUA.

I do the following:
- I enable Sandboxie to automatically start with elevated rights
- I enable the program  (for example Program X ) I wish to instal and run in Sandboxie to also automatically start with elevated rights

- I then choose program X, and in the Explorer context Menu the option to 'Run (Program X) Sandboxed'    OR
- I then go to the context menu of Sandboxie and select 'run any program' - and browse to select the program X I want to run sandboxed, which I earlier enabled to automatically start with elevated rights.

This doesn't seem to work.  I get message 'you must be logged in as an administrator to instal this program'.

Could someone please suggest a way try out new programs in Sandboxie while using Surun?

Program X runs (instals) normally outside Sandboxie under Surun/LUA when set to start with elevated rights.

Thank you for your help.
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Special characters:
Special queries
Go to forum
Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
This board is powered by the Unclassified NewsBoard software, 20150713-dev, © 2003-2015 by Yves Goergen
Page created in 126 ms (92.5 ms) · 103 database queries in 19.3 ms
Current time: 2019-06-26, 00:28:23 (UTC +02:00)